Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Massages and Moxa

Today I remembered my massages in Prague. I would go 2 or 3 times a month to Stepanka and I'd leave her parlour in such a relaxed and serene state I just smiled the whole way home :)

She had these amazing hands and her technique was so professional and efficient that not many words were exchanged between the 2 of us for those 18 months. Well, the fact that I didn't speak any Czech and she any English didn't exactly invite to chat... But we got on perfectly with half words and smiles. After all, I wasn't there to speak.

What distinguish her was that she used a combination of Swedish and Chinese massages. All excellent (sorry, got reminiscent!). The Swedish is the traditional massage everybody knows, but for the Chinese, she used some stuff that you'd be suspicious of when you'd see it, but something that I soon dreamt of :) It's got a scary name, but it's the best thing ever: moxibustion. Indirect moxibustion that is, as the original really touches your skin (it's mainly used in Japanese or Chinese acunpucture). It is a heat application technique, comprising of a sort of cigar made of moxa, which is a herb that apparently us, Europeans, used to place under our pillows for sweet dreams. The cigar is litten and its heat is slowly spread throughout the back and neck. She would place the burning cigar very close to my skin and would slowly move it around. The heat sensation it provokes is absolutely amazing, especially when it is at the end of your spine, where your lumber region is.
You just want to shiver. But then you think twice and remember you are not at home with your other half. Well, some boys got in delicate situations, if you know what I mean.
I strongly recommend this type of massage, even if you don't have any pains on your back (well, I didn't!).

So there you go, some useful info for you!

1 comment:

rafal said...

more work for nothing...and traveling up and down thanks no...I already tried that,
but the choice is yours,

rafal