Friday, September 01, 2006

Back on track

Hello my dears,
it's good to be back. But it was also great to be on holidays in my beautiful country, getting a proper tan and just chilling out, as one should.
Went to the beach, to some cool restaurants and terraces by the river and the sea. Saw the prominent Mr Jesus overlooking Lisbon, just like in Rio de Janeiro, got a bit lost in the shopping centers (cool!!!) and met interesting people.
Lisbon - it is really true - has this super shiny light about it, the city looks so pretty under that intense sunlight it's unbelievable. That's also why I use to call my home city the female city, as Lisbon has this special feel and light and colour. Porto, on the other hand, it's a bit more of a macho city as it's darker, more aggressive and colder. They complement each other.
I'll post some pics for you to see what I mean.

This is my beautiful Porto or Oporto. The boats you see on the river (on the left the Atlantic starts) are the rabelos, the old boats which were used to transport the wine barrels from the mountains. What wine? Port wine, obviously!
The river is Douro (literally translated of gold, as in the past it was said that metal could be found in it). It's a gorgeous place and I'm proud of calling it home.

This is my Lisbon, the city that I long to know much better than I do now. I still haven't gone to the castle, to the Oceanarium, to the Torre de Belém, etc, etc... On a more tourism-oriented visit, I guess I will visit all of this and more.
Lisbon is full of contrasts, as any big city or capital. In one street you are back in time where neighbours used to know each other lives through their windows, and in the other, you are in modern ages, where steel and glass are kings in the new buildings and where neighbours haven't seen each other, never.

Well, just go and visit Portugal, is well worth it, even if you are Portuguese and live there!!!

No comments: