Saturday, September 23, 2006

Happiness




Scrivere e viaggiare senza la seccatura del bagagli.
Emilio Salgari



Today I'm on a quote day. Nothing new to tell you, except that the little toe finally is convinced that enough is enough and started another message, this time to revert the previous process and, therefore, I'm starting to feel better again. It took a few days, I have to give credit to my body, it really got united and followed little toe's orders remarkably. Today spent in bed is a balm and tomorrow I will be totally ok and can go out and meet the girls for some tea and cakes, yummy!

Tonight is the White Night in Madrid which means all museums, art galeries, some theathers, etc, will be open all night for free. 240 cultural activities to be seen and experienced from 9.30 pm till 7 am.
I declined. I guess all that cultural medicine wouldn't do me any good :)

I leave you with a quote that means a lot to me, especially lately, and I hope some people reading this will understand what I mean. This is what I wanted to tell you, and you know who you are (mysterious, hey?)...


Felicidad es la ausencia de miedo.
Eduard Punset

11 comments:

rafal said...

Hey, good to hear you are better Ana. i agree with Mr Punset (i like quotes about hapiness)however I would like to make one remark...absence of fear where there should be no fear. The fear is the natural reaction to something that threatens us. If you were not afraid you would allow the falling stone to drop on your head, but because you are afraid of it you will run away from it....and well that is just about it when fear (let´s call it natural relaction to danger) is needed , the remaining excess is useless....so when we are afraid of being afraid we are unhappy, otherwise we are happy.

hope it makes sense to you....
love
rafal

Izi said...

I agree with you about the natural reaction, it's our organic self-defence mechanism.It's part of our intuition and is what allows us to stay alive.
Mr Punset goes further and states that we need anxiety to survive danger. Happiness is a temporary emotion. Only now we start to be happy. Before nobody took care of it: science couldn't measure it; religion always made sure to reinvindicate we are in the world to suffer and that happiness is in the other life. Furthermore, all religions have thought of emotions as our irrational and most detestable part.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the question here is this :" Are you afraid of being happy
?"
Si la felicidad es la ausencia de miedo porque tienes miedo de ser feliz?
Because you care! that's why. And when you care you're afraid that the object of your attention goes away...

Izi said...

I'm not afraid of being happy. But I can pursue happiness without fear of unhappiness, that's the point. After all, happiness is not the end, it's the way.
And if the object of my attention is going away, I let it go, I can't possess it, I can't force it to stay. Never heard:"if you love somebody, let him free"?

Anonymous said...

In the end what counts is what you do, not what you say.
Your actions stay forever,
your words maybe not...

rafal said...

interesting discussion guys...

be and not to be this is the answer, well I wanted to leave it like this but let me add...

hapiness is not in the fact but in the process....the search for it, no matter if you do it with action words or idleness (as long as we choose it consciously), we are all different (looking for the same thing in different ways that is why this world is so interesting)

love
rafal

Anonymous said...

Obrigada pela visita =)

Izi said...

You're welcome, Ana! Posso-te incluir nos meus links?

:)

Unknown said...

Well said Rafal! I think you're spot on.

Ana, you are a wonderful, smart and strong person who knows exactly what she wants and isn't afraid to go for it, even if others can't see that. Keep doing what you feel is right and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Keep being yourself, because you're a beautiful thing just as you are.

Izi said...

"Many rivers to cross
But I can't seem to find my way..."

This is the song I'm listening to as I write this (it's from Cafe del Mar 9) and it has a touch of truth.
It's got 2 meanings:
1) I have a choice, options are presenting, I'm able to choose without fear;
2) I would much rather not having to be confronted with a or b...

Anonymous said...

"Triste e viver na solidao
Na dor cruel de uma paixao"

Joao Gilberto