Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dilemma

D. invited me to go with him to a special reception. The president of Portugal will be in Spain next week and the Embassy is inviting a selected number of people (well, the pretty ones, I guess) to attend a cocktail on Monday and on Tuesday a reception is given in the Royal Palace with the Kings of Spain. The Monday occasion I already turned down (c'mon, I have a oftamologist appointment which took me ages to book... isn't it more important than a cocktail with the President and the Embassador?). The reception at the Palacio del Pardo is a different story, as we get to know the Majesties, the Palace and other VIP and posh stuff.
My dilemma is what to wear, being a typical girl. In the invitation, the words long dress scare me. I don't own a long dress, I mean, one for this kind of solemn occasion.
I don't know how to bow for the Queen or the Princess.
This thing requires plenty of training and time to transform myself (hairdresser, manicure, make up, etc, etc). I can't just pop in after work. And, chances are that, feeling sick like I do now, I might contamine the King with my flu... Maybe the security people scan me right at the door and decide to leave me out, for fear of contamination or worse, embarracement for lack of a decent hairdo (with this rainy weather, everything is possible and my hair may get all frizzy and nasty!). I don't know whether I can risk my self-esteem...

PS - In case a long dress owner is reading this and is my size, please, please, give me a hand!!! Help me out!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a long white dress you can have. It's the national sudanese dress - for guys though. But no one in Spain will notice anyway!

Izi said...

Wiss,
thanks, but NO thanks... a more sophisticated dress is what I was thinking of.
What kind of accessories go with that wide bedsheet thing???

Izi said...

Not only it WASN't helpful, it was also utterly silly, Mr Pedro!

Unknown said...

Hey, Pedro and I were only trying to help. You don't see anyone else giving you any advice. If you aren't gonna thank us, at least buy us dinner. I think Pedro's idea would be great fun. Especially if you're wearing the Gallabia (the white Sudanese dress).

Izi said...

Because it's late at night and people are sleeping. People awake at this hour are a bit silly and don't think straight! How could I show up wearing a white robe? Security would stop me, scan me head to toe, look for guns and stuff as there is plenty of space left, right?
As for the flu, bad idea too, they'd arrest me on the spot, accused of terrorism at a grand scale!
No thank you, misters, i will wait for more suggestions, if you don't mind!

Unknown said...

See? You've just proved Pedro's point. How fun is all that??

Izi said...

No, I said I won't take any of that exactly for the reasons stated above!!! It was a bad suggestion and I explained why!!

rafal said...

selected, pretty, no dress...upfff this is too complicated to me...and who is the misterious D. ??

Oh very very difficult....to answer to amils like this,
maybe you want to go to pages of paper called Gala or sth..there is plenty of shining examples

love
rafal

Anonymous said...

You should buy a pumpkin and two white mice, and then pray for that fairy come and help you just like she did with Cinderella. Maybe it works! Kisses, Ali.
PS: remember you have to leave at 12:00pm, otherwise......