Friday, November 17, 2006

Wikipedia

Reading the papers, the news that Wikipedia was again blocked in China made me laugh. The ban was lifted for just a week, but the reason the site was censured again didn't come out to public yet. The police uses very sophisticated filters and even officers who monitor web traffic in search of sensitive word entries, like Tibet and Taiwan. When I went to Shanghai I actually needed to use Wikipedia, as I wanted to copy the Chinese symbol for moxa, my massage stuff. I knew the site had it, because I'd seen it here, before I went.

There was no way to actually access it until we found out that if somebody sent us the link with the result via chat or email, we could open the page and read it. So, that way we deceived the little officers in their small rooms looking for trouble! hihihihi Well, I've read it here.

This happens in many countries too, and with a wider spectrum of sites.

No comments: