Monday, October 09, 2006

Day 3 and 4


After a sleeping day on Sunday to finally recuperate from all dancing the night before at the bar previously commented, we went out for dinner with Mattias and his girlfriend Michelle.

We went out for dinner at a yummy restaurant called Simply Thai where we had gorgeous food and a great time. We talked about all the fakes, handmade clothes you can order, about massages (I'll have mine tomorrow!!!!) and other particularities of Shanghai. Apparentely if you are in a cab and it happens your driver runs over somebody, you shouldn't even stop. This is because, according to Mattias, you might end up in prison as you are the responsible for the accident. Ending up in a Chinese prison doesn't sound a good thing, especially for this kind of absurd reasons.

Today, we did the modern district and went here:


behind me you can see the Oriental Pearl Tower which is 468 metres high. It is the highest TV Tower in Asia and is the third highest one in the world. The designers magically set the eleven beautiful spheres of various sizes up from the green grassland to the blue sky with two giant spheres shining like two rubies. The whole design is rich in poetic and pictorial splendor., which gives the tourists the impression that pearls of various sizes are dropping onto the emerald plate. It really is something else (you can read more about it in Pedro's blog, he went there a few days ago).

To cross the river, we used the "Bund Tourist Tunnel" which consists of a psychadelic ride inside cabins. The joy ride includes all sorts of lasers, freaky lights and screens. It's a weird experience, it looks like the "Tunnel of Horrors" of your local Fun Fair... Strange, to say the least.
As we came out of the tunnel, I saw this stand where my name could be carved in some sort of stone and used as a stamp. I had to have one for the sheer pleasure of having my name carved somewhere :) The initial price was 98RMB, which is roughly 10€, which we immediatelly started bargaining. At the end we got 2 stamps carved with both our names as they are and in Chinese characters for 100€. I also got a nice wooden box and ink for an extra 30RMB (from 50RMB)...
Off we went towards the Jin Mao Tower to have a tea on the reputedly highest bar in the world on the 87the floor. I could try and post a picture here, but as usual, this thing is giving me a hard time, so maybe later I'll try again. But it really is amazing...and tall!
We had tea and a chestnut dessert to the sound of typical instruments being played live. In the toilets, I had this lady who turned the taps of hot and cold water for me to wash my hands at the right temperature, hold the soap dispenser for me and waited to give me a hand towel... That is style... In Pedro's toilet apparentely he had a fantastic view while...well, you know!
We then met some friends at a restaurant where we had a great time, as our nationalities ranged from Portuguese, German, French to Philippine and Japanese.

Tomorrow, I'll finally will go to the fake market and to the tailor who has a reputation behind him already, with so many reccomendations from everyone (it seems the suits he's making cost only around 60€ and are of excellent quality, both fabric and cut wise).
I'm also going to my first massage, 30 mins Japanese Acupressure and then another 30 mins of Hot Stone Body Massage for the modic price of 13€... As for the moxa stick, I still haven't got round to make myself explained in a effective way and nobody has a clue of what I'm saying, to my huge frustration.

Anyway, talk to you tomorrow!

No comments: