Saturday, June 23, 2007

Porto, S. João and beach

It's sunny and warm here in Porto! WOW! Extremely unusual! We can almost go to the beach!!!Shame I have a bit of a cold, otherwise I wouldn't think twice about laying on the sand and getting a real suntan, instead one that comes out of a bottle in Madrid and gives me the illusion I can survive another summer without the beach.

Anyhow, maybe we'll go for a coffee at one of my favourite spots in Porto: Praia da Luz to watch the sunset over the ocean and hear the seagulls above us, while listening very cool chillout music. This is the Porto I love. On the above link, you can also see nice views of my city and also of the bars on the renovated Gaia docks overlooking Porto's Ribeira and the most beautiful bridge in the world.

Tonight Porto is celebrating it's patron, St John and preparations are being finalised for another sleepness night, where about 1 million people will enjoy the occasion by walking on the city and... hitting each other on the head with plastic hammers. It's a very strange and unique night over here and the rule is to have fun and to get drunk, always in a group. When we were younger, we used to gather around 2o+ and lined up and hand in hand walk miles until dawn. Why holding hands? Because of the 1 million people on the narrow streets of our city. People get lost, especially if attacked by another "torture" - the smelly garlic. This thing causes you to run uncontrollably until you are safe from this variety of garlic that stinks and makes you wanna kill the person behind it. Yes, this is also very exotic and very Porto, hit the cute girls with garlics and hammers and all laugh... I know, it doesn't make any sense, but that's why it is so pure and fun.



VIVA O PORTO, carago! Or better, more real: BIBÓ PORTO, carago!!!

2 comments:

rafal said...

mierda...oups..excuse the vocabulary..hihi.i missed it again.....I always wanted to see this and do a little rim pim pim in the heads of others...actualy this is something I make sure do on daily basis, so definitely it is a fiesta for me!

Miguel said...

BIBA!