Friday, July 21, 2006

War terror in Lebanon - day 10


I’ve been trying to avoid talking about Lebanon, in a strange attempt to see if by not talking about it, things would get better and then it would be ok, I could talk about it in the past tense. But things are never like we wish them, and the situation is worsening by the hour.
I have been in touch with Wissam and Rock and they both told me they were ok, but were today getting a cab to Damascus. I can’t determine right now if it’s safer than just staying in Beirut or in the mountains.
It’s the 10th day today and the roads keep being bombarded, people keep dying – the death toll rises by the minute, more than 330 as of now – and the escape has to be imminent. For their own lives… but they are also risking them by escaping…It’s a vicious circle of horror. Just last week we were exchanging joke emails, and now they are running with nothing more then clothes on their bodies. Life is a Pandora’s box.
Yesterday, we tried to show the world our indignation, by demonstration in several cities across the world, but are the Israelis really watching and caring? Their flag was burnt, their name damned, but do they really care we don’t approve? Can the leaders show some humanity?
I’ve been reading a lot about Lebanon and this war and here are some interesting bloggers’ visions of their lives over there:
http://bloggingbeirut.com/
http://readingwhilefalling.com/
http://thehumanprovince.blogspot.com/
http://beiruttodoha.blogspot.com/

History always repeats and what happened in 1982, perfectly shown on this Time’s cover then, is what is happening in 2006. Apparently people don’t change their views and are willing to kill children, women and defenceless people regardless.
Where is the Church actually? I haven’t been hearing a lot of anti-war speeches from our Pope. Have you?
With the hope the killings stop soon, meanwhile I wish all Lebanese luck on their way out of their beloved country, resilience on their horrifying days and hope that this war will stopped very quickly. We aren’t forgetting you!
With love,
Ana

1 comment:

rafal said...

Hello,

Answering your comment. I believe the solution could come in long term and actually depends on the transformation of human hearts. No matter what kind of political, social or economical systems we wouldn't invent, they will not work unless people work hard to develop peace in their hearts. I don't have any guarantee this will ever happen but I strongly believe it is possible. I do because I experiment with myslef and I know that change of the heart is possible. If it is possible for me, why shouldn't it be possible for others.And current political situation in the Middle East is very complex. The solution will come it there will be peaceful, common will of the people who pull the strings in the M. East. And if there will be I don't know but I still believe and hope it will not take many more victims before this will is strong enough.

With Love
rafal