Friday, May 04, 2007

25 wonders

Love travelling. Lifts the spirit. Breaks your routine. Enhances your senses.
When I read this list of wonders to be seen in our lifetimes, compiled by the Rough Guide, I tried to find one out that I could possibly afford to visit soon.

1 Salt flats of Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia
2 Uluru or Ayers Rock, Australia
3 Pyramids at Giza, Egypt
4 Drifting down the Amazon
5Fairy chimneys” and caves of Cappadocia, Turkey
6 Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA
7 Petra, the city carved from stone in the Jordanian desert
8 Machu Picchu, Peru
9 Sagrada Familia, Gaudí’s masterpiece in Barcelona
10 Perito Moreno glacier, Patagonia
11 Sistine Chapel, Rome
12 Trekking in the Himalayas
13 Angkor Wat, Cambodia
14 The canals and palaces of Venice
15 Taking a camel train across the Sahara
16 Great Wall of China
17 Victoria Falls, Zambia and Zimbabwe
18 Paddling in the Barrier Reef, Belize
19 Taj Mahal, India
20 Maya ruins of Mexico and Guatemala
21 Stone giants of Easter Island
22 Grand Mosque, Djenn鬠Mali
23 The temptations of Las Vegas
24 Forbidden City, China
25 Itaipú, the world’s biggest dam, Paraguay and Brazil

There's plenty of room for discussion about these 25 choices. For example, Las Vegas??? Is the Rough Guide patriotic or what?
In any case, I've seen (or been to) 2, been really close to other 2, but out of these true wonders, the one that would most easily and quickly take my fancy would definitly be....(still thinking)....maybe.....either Stone Giants or Patagonia. That sounds exotic enough, doesn't it? I mean, I wouldn't say no if my only choice were the Maya ruins or Petra.
Basically, I need the time and the money and I'd do them all! Oh yeah!

No comments: