Monday, April 23, 2007

Life of Pi


Just finished reading one of the best books I ever read: Life of Pi, by courtesy of Nelson who lent me the book of which I knew the cover well, from my times in Prague. Then, I knew it was a special book, by the attention it received on bookstores. But I found it only in Czech and forgot about it. But the image of the kid sharing a lifeboat with a tiger stayed. Last time we went to Nelson’s house and I saw that cover, I knew it was my time.
Last night I had only a few (around 20) pages left to finish it, so I stayed up and by the time I’ve finished it I couldn’t sleep thinking about it. It’s one of those books that don’t leave you immune.
I’m not going to reveal the story, but it’s a very human account of survival and hope. And always with a lightness that obliges you to stay reading until your eyes beg for rest. It explores religion (the protagonist believes in 3 religions, Islam, Christianity and Hinduism) and spirituality (the writer uses animals to illustrate morals and human characteristics). It challenges you to believe the story(ies). You must take a stand after reading it, as it becomes in the end a matter of faith.
Life of Pi won the 2002 Man Pulitzer award. READ IT!

No comments: