Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Carnival

Had a short break and managed to go to Porto for Carnival. Not that I enjoy Carnival all that much, but it was necessary. In one hand, to talk face to face to parents and seek advice, also to meet a potential employer and, on the other hand, to relax and get out of here.

Things at work will be taking a turn on the 15th, after the crucial meeting that will take place in Frankfurt. I keep being pressed to tell them about my interest on the move, and I keep telling them that I will only show my genuine interest after a counter proposal has been done. That’s what I’m patiently waiting. My colleagues aren’t volunteering to move, and apparently, neither are the French ones, therefore, the pressure is huge on the managers. Transferring a whole business without continuity in terms of knowledge is a big headache and a situation prone to be disastrous. The know how and experience is what we have and is what they’re after, but the personal circumstances of each of us and the conditions they’re proposing aren’t attracting any of us.
It’s a huge decision and they are aware of that, so I hope that after this round of conversations, a better menu of conditions is reached.

As for the other job on the line, it’s financially very attractive, also for Belgium, but I’m not so enthusiastic about it. Money isn’t everything and I cannot sell myself to a highly stressful job just because it’s better paid than what I have or want. I don’t deal well with huge pressure, I take it very closely and that necessarily affects your health. And with that I’m not playing. I rather have a more relaxed life without so much money. I’m true to myself. Me and my family above anything else. And this ‘me’ implies a healthy, stress free person, not one that has cash loads but is totally unhappy.
Career wise, I’m messing it up, as this position is for Logistics management, but I rather get that on my company, in a different area of work.
Like I said, money is nice, it brings a lot of commodities and enjoyments, but at the end of the day, you must be happy with what you do. In that line, I rather stay in my company and get all that they offer and a bit more, obviously, and maybe in 1 year get into HR or business management within paper, instead of solar panels. In one year, we’ll talk again….

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

trabalhas em papel?

Izi said...

Sim! Numa empresa finlandesa produtora de papel e cartao.
Tu?

Anonymous said...

:-) curioso. Numa empresa portuguesa produtora de papel, mas não de cartão ...

Izi said...

Trabalhas na Portucel? Onde? É que a Gescartao é minha cliente, em Leiria, Albarraque e Guilhabreu :)

Anonymous said...

setubal :-)

Izi said...

O mundo é pequeno...

Anonymous said...

de facto :-) em que área trabalhas?

Izi said...

Consumer Packaging = cartolinas e cartão...
Tu?

Anonymous said...

Floresta