Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sardines and Dali

Last night got to go to the movies to see Goodbye Bafana, which we liked. Apparentely, Mandela never confirmed his friendship with Mr Gregory, the prison officer which is the central character of this movie. Any case, I like Joseph Fiennes!

Today, we went to Dali's exhibition in this Palace which is almost totally renovated, after years of negligence. Such was the damaged incurred by years of abandon, that some of the frescos were unsaved, meaning the restaurateurs couldn't make up what they originally were and left empty walls instead.It was built at the begining of the 18th century and at the top of its 4 towers we can see the family's symbol, the dolphin.In 1910 it was considered National Heritage, but faced almost a century before some renovation work got under way, work that took 3 years. It's now being prepared to accomodate another Pousada de Portugal (historical buildings transformed into charming hotels, usually monasteries, convents and palaces). - I have to say that the palace impressed me more than the 285 pictures, drawings and sculptures of Dali...Obviously, I'm not such a fan.




We then went for lunch at a cosy restaurant at a small fishing village overlooking Porto.




I had grilled sardines,


which were simply delicious, and finished off this great lunch with a view with a sensational chocolate mousse, one of my all time favourites.

Now, must pack my bags for my 'cross country' travel tomorrow. I leave at 05.50 am and get to Portimão at 12.00 am... Oh dear!

No comments: