Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's

Is Valentine’s Day more about marketing or romance?

Nowadays, more of the first, I’m afraid. In fact, this day was created for the business. Since there was a shopping gap between Xmas and Easter, it was needed to fill it in with something. And who can say no to LOVE?

Roses double fold their prices in these days; chocolates’ firms release special bonbon editions; massages are now the new trend (the couple is massaged simultaneously, in a very relaxed atmosphere – I almost had that experience, in China, with my friend Pedro. I say almost, because it wasn’t very relaxing, as the massage types we chose were a bit on the harsh side. The first half hour was a Japanese shiatsu kind of torture, as although we were fully dressed, the knots of the masseuse’s fingers still went through our skins, tendons and muscles leaving us in pain, for 28 mins out of 30. The second part of this experience comprised of extra hot stones right on our already pained backs. If it wasn’t for the masseuses’ audible burning pain in their hands, it could be semi relaxing. But the girls were picking up the extra hot black stones with their bare hands and they couldn’t hide their discomfort… And we felt we were being burnt all throughout. So much for the relaxation the brochure promised. We went out of there in a mix of relief and pain. That was my couple massage experience. Maybe not to repeat.)

In any case, Valentines is everyday, right?

PS – my horoscope promised I was going to receive good news today at work… I’m waiting!

No comments: